The Floating Bridge was opened in 1836 and connected Southampton to Woolston. At that time Woolston was a separate village on the east bank of the River Itchen, it did not become part of Southampton until 1920.
Originally owned by a private company, the Floating Bridge was purchased by Southampton Corporation in 1934. This service continued until 1977 when the Itchen Bridge was opened.
The schooner ADVENT is seen after being wrecked on the bar 16 Feb. 1913. The wind failed as she attempted to cross the Coos Baybar. Grounding on the spit, no tug in the area was powerful enough to get her free and the above was the result after the eight man crew was removed.
431 G.t./399 N.t., 151.5’ x 35’ x 12.6’ Schooner Blt. 1901, Northbend, OR., by and for Simpson Lumber Co. Wrecked on Coos Bay Bar 16 Feb. 1913 All hands saved.