The plaque accompanying the figurehead reads:
Built as a First Rate of 120 guns at Woolwich and completed in 1841, 2,694 tons. She took part in the bombardment of Sebastopol in 1854, being towed to her position in the line by the RETRIBUTION (paddle).
Converted to a two deck screw ship of 90 guns at Chatham in 1858-59 and in 1873 was renamed BOSCAWEN, when she became a seaman boy”s training ship at Portland. Sold in 1905, the year in which boy”s training became shore based at Shotley near Ipswich.
photo posted by janner2011