One of the ships of Rear-Admiral Pierre Dumanoir le Pelley at the Battle of Trafalgar on 21 October 1805. She was taken and commissioned into the Royal Navy as HMS Mont Blanc. Used as a gunpowder hulk from 1811, and sold in 1819.
St Clement is revered as a martyr: fourth-century accounts speak of his forced labour in the mines during exile to the Crimea in the reign of the emperor Trajan (98-117 AD) and his missionary work there which prompted the Romans to bind him to an anchor and throw him into the Black Sea. Sometime later, the accounts continue, the water receded, revealing a tomb built by angels from which his body was recovered.
The relics of St Clement are preserved beneath the high altar of the basilica of San Clemente in Rome and the painting in this photo hangs in the refectory of the Dominican priory adjoining the basilica.