RMS (later s.s.) Oronsay was a passenger liner of 27,632 grt built by Vickers Armstrong’s Barrow Yard and delivered to her owners, Orient Steam Navigation in 1951.
Her delivery had been delayed by some 8 weeks due to a fire on board whilst she was fitting out. She was employed on the Company’s service from the UK to Australia.
Following the merger of Orient Line and the P&O, she was absorbed into the P&O fleet in 1960 and changed her livery to the all-white hull in 1964, the first of the ex-Orient Liners to do so.
In 1972, the ship was converted to one-class accommodation, with the vessel being increasingly based in Australia for cruising purposes but in 1975 was sold for scrapping in Taiwan and sailed from Southampton for the final time for Australia on August 4th 1975 and after one final cruise from Sydney in September 1975, arrived at Kaohsiung in October for breaking up.
This photograph is from a postcard and shows the vessel alongside at the port of Kobe.