The Amerika of Hamburg America Line at the Prince of Wales Pier, Dover
Amerika was built for the HAPAG New York service in 1905. She was built by Harland & Wolff in Belfast, whose owner Lord Pirrie had a major interest in the Hamburg America Line. She was seized by the USA in 1917, and renamed America. Initially used as a troopship, she was passed to the United States Lines in 1921. She was badly damaged by fire in 1926, and scrapping was considered. She ailed again from 1927-31, and was then laid up. Rebuilt in 1942 (with only one funnel) and used as the US Army transport Edmund B.Alexander until 1949. She was broken up in 1958.